Ok hands up, who’s potentially shaped like an Easter egg right now? Yes my hand is up and I’m hoping you can’t see the Crème Egg sat next to me as I write this…..
I thought we would have a look at trying to shake up our eating habits. Not just in an eat more broccoli and no pizza kind of way but more in a try new things way.
So I’m going to start with trying new Carbohydrates. You see Crabs get a bad reputation, and not really deserved. The problem is we are just really good at over eating Carbs, it’s not their fault they are so tasty and comforting.
To prove this I want you to read a pasta packet and weight out the recommended serving (usually around 75g) and just see how different that is compared to how much you usually eat. Clue-it’s usually a big difference!
We also get stuck on the same things. When we think of Carbs we think Bread, Pasta, Potatoes and Pastry.
In fact there are lots of other options!
- Vegetables, not just potatoes but also any other veg such as Carrots, Beetroot, Cabbage..
- Grains-Wheat, Oats, Rice, Quinoa etc.
- Beans/Legumes-Chickpeas, Black Beans, Cannellini Beans, Lentils
Why not try challenging yourself to mix up your carbs a bit.
- Have Oats instead of toast at breakfast
- Eat coloured fruit and/or vegetables at every meal. So berries in those oats, broccoli, carrots, peppers etc. in your lunch and dinner.
- Try a grain and/or bean you have never eaten before. Maybe try Teff or Freekah (you can get them in the supermarket I promise) with a lunch salad or make a Chilli with some different kinds of beans added.
I’d love to hear how you get on with your experiments!